Sunday, May 20, 2007

Clematis viticella 'Polish Spirit'

For years I drooled over pictures in gardening magazines of clematis and roses happily intertwined and blooming side by side and thinking "Wish I could grow some clematis" (it was more like pouting). Then, about 10 years ago, I went to a gardening friend's house nearby and she had an 8 foot tall purple clematis covered with blooms in the middle of her rose garden. " I guess they will grow here " I said to myself and proceeded to comb local (and not so local) nurseries for as many types as I could find. I have found that the viticella species are the ones that do the best in my garden, and I think the purple ones are spectacular. So, no more pouting about clematis. "But about those peonies and lily of the valley......"
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh Carol, I am so jealous that you can grow this clematis!! How gorgeous! Love, Jana