Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Candied Rose Petals


Candied Rose Petals: It seemed like a pretty basic project
I looked up some instructions on the web and it
seemed very simple.....


1.) Find some luscious roses and gently wash
(I used Eden and Othello roses)
2.) brush with egg white mixed with a little water
3.) sprinkle with sugar
4.) Let dry
5.) Enjoy a little piece of preserved Springtime


Well this turned out to be a lesson in patience and perserverance.
Using a small paint brush I applied the eggwhite all over each petal and then sprinkled with
superfine granulated sugar. As I did my first tray full I was disheartedned to see most of them turning into a pulpy mess.
I was ready to throw in the towel but I still had a counter full of rose petals.
Plan B : Brush each petal with egg white only- no water added. Use a very gentle touch. Gently
dredge in a pile of superfine sugar- coating entire petal. Plaace on parchment paper and dry in
upper rack of dehydrator with dehydrator on for just a couple of minutes. Turn off dehydrator and let stay in there for an hour or so.
By then they were nice and crispy dry.
I


The end result of several hours work- a cute little jar
of candied rose petals. By the way -they really are delicious!
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

judy said...

Kinda like using a toothpick and glue huh? Carol, you have the patience of Job! Pretty pretty pretty...

Pammy said...

I love this Carol - good for you that you persevered and did your own thing. Thanks for sharing this with us!