Friday, November 13, 2009

Acorn Gathering

 

Today was a perfect day for gathering acorns. The
morning was nice and cool and fallish, so I headed out
with my faithful companion Rascal. Down our hill and
up the next we came upon the area where I had seen
the ground littered with acorns just a few days before.
Well--most of them were gone. We really had to search
(O.K., I did most of the searching-Rascal had a nap
under the trees) to find even a handful of possible
keepers, I guess the deer and other critters had beaten
us there. But that was okay, I knew another spot!
 

I drove to the next spot a couple of miles away and
this time brought something to collect them in.
I was remembering a special area that had cute
ruffly-cap acorns, and I was hoping they were still
there.
 

At first , I was bummed because I didn't see any acorns
at all, but then I spied a few on one tree and then
on the next tree- I hit the mother lode and filled
my little Ziploc to the top. The funny thing about
the oaks with the cute acorns is they are the
ugliest little things you have ever seen. They
don't look like an oak tree at all- but they sure
have cute acorns!
 
Posted by Picasa

So what am I going to do with all these little
treasures? Well, my daughter had this idea
for using them as little gift tags and tying
them with baker's twine. I made one for a
friend and thought it looked really cute,
so I think I'll just use that bag of
acorns for my gift tags this Christmas.

3 comments:

Merle said...

Love your acorn ideas.
There are a few trees on the AHC campus that have some cute acorns. I collect a few on my lunchbreak walk every couple of days...I'm glittering the caps with a Martha Stewart bronze glass glitter. Just displaying them underglass in a bird's nest for now.

Carol said...

I love the idea of glittering the caps- how fun. I will have to go get myself some glitter-Thanks Merle!

Styling by Coty Farquhar said...

Oh my,
It's me again, I have just been reading your blog and I adore Acorns, always have! But I have never seen anything like your acorns here on this post.

They are gorgeous and I love what you have done with them.

I off to read more of your posts.

xx Coty